There are very few rules to cooking! Did you know that pesto doesn’t have to be made with basil or pine nuts? Here is our version using arugula.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup of toasted nuts – pine nuts, almonds, walnuts or pecans all work great.
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan, asiago or pecorino romano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 & 1/2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 & 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Place nuts on a cookie sheet and toast in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Cool.
- With a food processor running, drop in peeled garlic and finely chop.
- Remove lid and add cooled nuts, cheese, salt and pepper and greens and process until finely chopped.
- Add oil slowly while motor running and allow to blend but not become completely smooth.
* Pesto keeps in the the fridge for up to a week. It can also be frozen – for easy single servings, freeze in an ice cube tray.