This Egyptian Spinach dish is served with rice and optional meat make this and iron packed and delicious meal.
- Egyptian spinach available from Edible Earthscapes.
- 1 lb ground beef or stew beef
- 1 tsp of allspice (for beef use only)
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground coriander + 1/2 tsp
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 cup crushed tomato sauce
- 1 c water or broth
- 3 cups of roughly chopped spinach or baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- If using meat, brown the beef in a large pot over medium-high heat, add the all spice,1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. When the beef is browned, add the minced onion, garlic, and 1 tbsp of the coriander and toss until onions are translucent.
- Add 1 cup of water so that the beef is just covered. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered until all water is almost absorbed.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and broth or water and stir well. Add a small handful of rice and the spinach.
- Stir in the teaspoon of coriander. Simmer until the rice becomes cooked and spinach just wilted, and remove from heat. Do not over cook as the spinach will lose its color and become too tender.
- Serve with white rice and enjoy!