Makes 4 individual pizzas
- 2 large sweet potatoes (you’ll end up using 1 cup puree and 2 cups diced)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp for drizzling
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder/granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp onion powder/granulated onion
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 lb whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature, divided into 4 equal portions (4 oz each)
- flour, for rolling out dough
- 1 cup freshly shredded gouda cheese
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup diced chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place one whole sweet potato directly on the rack and bake until very soft, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before peeling and pureeing flesh in a food processor until smooth. Spoon out 1 cup to use as a pizza “sauce” (reserve any remaining puree for another use).
- Increase oven heat to 450°F. Peel remaining sweet potato and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Toss 2 cups of the diced sweet potatoes (reserve any remaining for another use) with 1 Tbsp olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt & pepper to taste; place in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, until softened but not yet crisp, about 15-20 minutes (they will continue to cook when baked on the pizza). Remove roasted sweet potato cubes from the oven.
- Lightly flour a clean, flat work surface. Roll each ball of dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness (about 7 inch in diameter). Transfer to a rimless baking sheet lightly coated with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the pureed sweet potato flesh evenly over the surface of each dough round, leaving about a 1/2-inch border. Top each sweet potato-coated dough circle with 1/4 cup shredded gouda, followed by 1/2 cup of the roasted sweet potato cubes. Carefully crack one egg on top of the sweet potato cubes in the center of each pizza.
- Bake pizzas at 450°F for 8 minutes. Carefully remove the baking sheet from underneath the pizzas, and continue to cook – directly on the oven rack – until the crusts are golden brown on the bottom, the cheese is melted, and the egg whites are fully set, about 2-4 additional minutes. Carefully remove pizzas from oven with a pizza peel and let cool 2 minutes before serving.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and top each individual pizza with 1 Tbsp diced chives.