Does your child like Okra? Perhaps they will, after helping you make this fun and simple okra nugget recipe. As the summer comes to an end, so does North Carolina okra. Before it is too late, stock up, prepare this recipe, and freeze, so you’ll have throughout the year. This is a great after school snack; pull from the freezer and bake for a few minutes!
- 2 cups okra, cut into 1 inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Whisk the egg in a second bowl.
- Place the cornmeal and parmesan cheese in a third bowl and stir to combine.
- Roll the okra in the flour and pat to remove excess flour.
- Dip the flour coated okra in egg and then roll in the cornmeal/parmesan mixture to coat.
- Place the okra on a cookie sheet sprayed or greased with olive oil (or Canola Oil Spray) and when all the okra nuggets are on the tray, spray again to lightly coat.*
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
*Freeze before baking. When ready to eat – take them out of the freezer and put them in the oven adding at least another 3-5 minutes baking time.
Brought to you by: weelicious.com