- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- 4 bell peppers, in assorted colors
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 large zucchini & yellow squash unpeeled, cut on the diagonal into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 6 ounces soft, mild goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Place the eggplant slices on a wire rack or in a large colander. Sprinkle lightly with salt on both sides. Set aside until the eggplant begins to release beads of moisture, maybe 15 to 20 minutes.
- On medium-high heat, grill light olive oil brushed peppers, onion, zucchini, and yellow squash.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry with paper towels. Brush both sides of the eggplant, with olive oil and place them on grill. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Grill until they’re lightly charred on the edges and nicely marked on both sides, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, and basil, and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Lightly toast the ciabatta just to warm it through, either on the grill, under the broiler, or in a toaster.
- Assemble each sandwich by drizzling some of the vinaigrette over one side of a slice of ciabatta and generously spreading some of the goat cheese mixture over one side of a second slice. Arrange an assortment of grilled vegetables over the vinaigrette-coated slice, and then drizzle with more vinaigrette if desired. Top the mound of grilled vegetables with the second slice of bread, goat-cheese-side down and press gently. Cut in half. Repeat with the remaining bread, vinaigrette, cheese mixture, and veggies. Serve the sandwiches immediately.
Read more at leitesculinaria.com