- 1/4 – 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds (1- 1/2 kg) pumpkin
- 2 medium onions
- 8-9 ounces (200-250 grams) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or 2 tablespoons dry mint
- 1 egg
- A pinch of cumin
- 12 phyllo sheets
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Grate the pumpkin and heat the pumpkin in a pot with no oil and a bit of water. It will release water, keep on heating and mixing until soft and the water has somewhat evaporated. Remove from pot and strain and let cool.
- In the meantime sauté the chopped onion in 1-2 tablespoon olive oil until soft.
- Once the pumpkin has strained mash until somewhat smooth, mix with the onions. Add the feta, mint and cumin and mix well.
- Beat the egg in a little bowl and add to the mixture. Mix until all ingredients until well blended. (Do not mix with a mixer). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This is the step of assembling the pie. Take a pan about the size of your phyllo sheets 9 X 14 inches work well (22 X 35 cm).
- Grease the bottom and sides of the pan with olive oil. Layer 6-7 sheets of phyllo brushing with olive oil each sheet. If your pan is slightly smaller that the sheets spread them leaving the leftover hanging on the edge.
- Pour the pumpkin-cheese mix, spreading evenly. Fold over the left over phyllo.
- Cover with 5-6 phyllo sheets again brushing each sheet with olive oil. Tuck in the leftover phyllo.
Brought to you by OliveTomato.com